Now I have no idea who Granny Kat is, but I wish I did because she deserves a personal thank you for these Pumpkin Rolls. The pumpkin cake is moist and flavorful and the cream cheese filling is sensational!
You know how several months ago I mentioned that my fiancé never knows what he wants to eat? Well that was kind of a lie because he has been requesting Pumpkin Rolls for well over 3 years now. Every time pumpkin season rolls around (no pun intended) I would briefly contemplate making the seemingly complicated Pumpkin Roll but then decide it’s too difficult. I figured that I should probably honor my fiance’s fourth request for this Fall treat – it seemed like the right thing to do since he has been so patient with all things wedding related!
So I pulled up the recipe that I had found after his first request all those years ago shuffled into the kitchen to try my hand at rolled cakes. I need not have been so terrified of failure. They are actually quite easy! I think I’ll make another one for Thanksgiving because it’s just such a pretty way to do the ubiquitous pumpkin dessert!
Granny Kat’s Pumpkin Rolls
This exceptional Pumpkin Roll is super moist and flavorful. The cream cheese filling is silky smooth and perfectly sweetened. Sensational!
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup confectioner’s sugar
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 2 tablespoons confectioner’s sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
Make the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 375° and grease and flour a 9x13 inch jelly roll pan. Do use the right sized pan so that your cake is an even thickness. I realized my pan was too large too late. Next time I won’t make such rookie Pumpkin Cake Roll mistakes.
- In a large bowl mix together flour, sugar, baking soda and pumpkin pie spice. Stir in pumpkin puree, eggs and lemon juice. Pour mixture into prepared pan and spread the mixture evenly.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly.
- While the cake bakes, lay a clean, unscented, lint free towel on the counter and sprinkle with ¼ cup of confectioners sugar. Turn the cake onto the towel leaving only ½ inch of towel exposed at one short end. Start rolling the cake and towel together lengthwise at the end with the smallest overhang. Place the cake rolled in the towel on a cooling rack and let cool completely.
Make the icing:
- Cream the cream cheese, butter, vanilla and 1 cup confectioners sugar together with an electric mixer.
Assemble the Roll:
- When cake has cooled, gently unroll cake and spread the icing with a small offset spatula within a ¼ inch of each side. Carefully re-roll the cake, making sure to tuck filling into the starting curl so that there is filling at the very center of the roll. Dust with Topping.
- Keep the cake refrigerated and slice right before serving.
All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Thanks!
Recipe from AllRecipes