Sprinkles Copycat Vanilla Cupcakes

Sprinkles Copycat Vanilla Cupcakes

On this Memorial Day (or anyday), let us take a moment to remember all those men and women who have made the ultimate sacrifice for our Country and our Freedom.

On a happier note, I think a holiday celebrating the brave men and woman who protect our Freedom calls for cupcakes. While definitely not ideal for shipping overseas, I know these Sprinkles Copycat Vanilla Cupcakes will bring a smile to any serviceman’s face when delivered with a “Thank you”.

Sprinkles Cupcakes is the only place where I have ever loved the vanilla cupcake with vanilla icing more than chocolate. That’s right, more than chocolate!

Sprinkles Copycat Vanilla Cupcakes

Sprinkles Cupcakes opened up a store in Atlanta several months ago, and my Husband and I were there the day opened. What of it?

Hubs and I have had a healthy (or possibly unhealthy) obsession with Cupcake Wars for several years now. We have seen every single episode; we ate macarons at the Paris bakery where Florian was executive pastry chef; we search for Cupcake Wars winners in every new city that we visit; and we are obsessed with Sprinkles Cupcakes, but I think I already mentioned that one!

Sprinkles Copycat Vanilla CupcakesMy husband and I were eagerly waiting for months for the new Atlanta shop to open and the night before he said, “I would probably break the law right now to have a Sprinkles cupcake.”

He was 100% serious.

Sprinkles Copycat Vanilla Cupcakes

I have been scouring the Internet for Sprinkles Copycat Vanilla Cupcake recipes for months to try and replicate the dense, chewy texture and perfect vanilla flavor at home, and I think I have finally found it. For the vanilla cupcake recipe I adapted a recipe I found at Layers of Happiness and I modified the “official” Sprinkles vanilla frosting recipe that I found on Food.com. Quite frankly, I felt the one posted couldn’t possibly be right because it didn’t have any vanilla bean paste in it, so I changed it. And bumped up the vanilla extract.

Don’t judge! It’s the only flavor!

My Husband and I actually thought these cupcakes were better than the original. But you’ll have to be the judge of that!

Sprinkles Copycat Vanilla Cupcakes

You’ll never need another vanilla cupcake recipe again because these are the BEST! I actually used the same cake recipe in these Salted Caramel Cupcakes. Swoon.

Sprinkles Copycat Vanilla Cupcakes

Want to laugh? This is me at the Sprinkles Cupcakes’ ATM. That’s right I said cupcake ATM!

Sprinkles Cupcakes ATM Atlanta

Sprinkles Copycat Vanilla Cupcakes

Yield: 24 Cupcakes

Sprinkles Copycat Vanilla Cupcakes

This recipe for Sprinkles Copycat Vanilla Cupcakes with vanilla icing is even better than the original! Moist, dense cake that is packed with vanilla flavor

For the Cupcakes:
  • ¾ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
  • 3 ½ cups confectioner sugar, sifted
  • 1 teaspoon cream
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla bean paste
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt

For the cupcakes:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Line 2 muffin tins with 24 cupcake liners.
  2. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a medium bowl and set aside.
  3. Cream butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating to combine after each addition.
  4. Add vanilla, sour cream and almond extract, beating until just combined.
  5. Reduced the mixer speed to low and stir in the flour in several additions. Remove the bowl from the mixer and stir the last bit of flour in with a spatula until just combined. Do not over mix.
  6. Scoop batter into cupcake liners and bake in preheated oven for 14-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with a few clinging crumbs.
  7. Allow to cool completely before icing.
  8. For the Frosting:
  9. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter, sugar and salt on medium-high speed until combined, then add cream, vanilla extract and vanilla paste and continue to beat until light and fluffy.
  10. You can either smooth the frosting on the cooled cupcakes with a small offset spatula à la Sprinkles, or you can just pipe it on. Personally I find piping easier!

Cupcake recipe adapted from Layers of Happiness and the Vanilla Frosting recipe was modified from Food.com

You may also like:

Copycat Sprinkles Triple Cinnamon Cupcakes

Copycat Sprinkles Triple Cinnamon Cupcakes

German Chocolate Cupcakes

German Chocolate Cupcakes with German Chocolate Ganache Filling

Peanut Butter Stuffed Double Chocolate Banana Cupcakes!

Peanut Butter Stuffed Double Chocolate Banana Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting

Double Salted Caramel Cupcakes

Easter Double Salted Caramel Cupcakes

Guinness Chocolate Cupcakes with Bailey’s Buttercream

Guinness Chocolate Cupcakes with Bailey's Buttercream and Salted Caramel Filling

I thought I didn’t like vanilla cake until I tried Sprinkles cupcakes and these are even better! Thanks for the pin! I hope you do try them soon! The cupcake ATM is TROUBLE!

Is it sad that I just figured out that they aren’t making any more new Cupcake Wars? Noooo!

They just put a Sprinkles Cupcake ATM in NYC…you got out just in time! Or you would have been paid a visit by the Wedding Fairy and we know what she’s like! ;-)

They are soooooo good! It takes a damn good vanilla cupcake for me to pass over the chocolate!

Hi Jackie! I used a small offset spatula. I placed a large dollop in the center of the cupcake and then used the spatula to flatten it out on top while pushing the frosting to the edges. I added more as I went along if the frosting wouldn’t reach the edges. Then I scraped all the excess frosting off my spatula before starting on the sides. I held the cupcake by the base in my left hand (on the counter or other flat surface) and then placed the offset spatula on a slight angle on the edge of the frosting. I slowly rotated the cupcake with my left and and held the spatula steady with my right until I had gone all the way around. The key is a light touch because otherwise too much frosting will come off and you will be left with a bare cake! I then scraped off any excess frosting from my spatula onto the rim of my frosting bowl and went back to adjust any imperfections. It took a while for me to come up with a system and then to get them as perfect as you see in the pictures! Using more frosting on each cupcake would make it easier but my husband doesn’t like a lot! Fortunately this type of frosting technique is very forgiving, so you can add more or take off excess as you go! Good luck!

I’ve only been to two: one in Scotsdale, AZ and the new on in Atlanta. We’ve tried 60% of their flavors including the red velvet! Vanilla and the triple cinnamon remain our favorites! I hope you do try it out! Maybe you can even coax your chocoholic son to try one! :-)

1. kita says

They look soooo good! And I’m so glad you cracked opena cake so that we all could see the texture. A lot of bloggers don’t do that and it’s annoying as crap! LOL….I will definitely try these. Thank you……………

lol! I have to agree that is annoying. It’s all about the texture of the cake! I have at least one “interior” picture unless the photos came out too horrible to post! I hope you do try them! So yummy!

• kita says

Hahaaa!! I will let you know how it goes! Thank you for replying! I love to cook and bake and will be food-blogging myself this summer! :)))…Thank you again!

These are definitely a worthy substitution! LOL my Husband and I saw a Sprinkles for the first time in Scotsdale, AZ and we literally ran to it.

2. Vanessa says

Hello! I am very excited to try this recipe, thank you for it!

Just wanted to comment on the actual blog post, specifically saying “Happy Memorial Day.” I have learned since my husband joined the Army that that is a very inappropriate expression since many don’t realize the difference between Memorial Day and Veteran’s Day. Memorial Day honors the soldiers who have lost their lives while on active duty, NOT active duty soldiers. Veteran’s Day is to honor all those serving in the military. So, it is inappropriate to say “Happy Memorial Day,” as it is not happy for anyone who is “celebrating” or remembering on this day.

Totally not trying to be critical, just informative as I know many people (like myself pre-Army life) don’t understand the difference.

Thank you again!

Hi Vanessa, I appreciate you taking the time to comment on this post. I completely understand your point and I can see why “Happy Memorial Day” would seem offensive or inappropriate to someone who has lost a loved one in the line of service. I do see the difference between the two holidays and I apologize for any offense given to you or to anyone. I am eternally grateful to anyone who has risked their life to fight for our freedoms and I would absolutely not want to offend anyone. I will revise that post and remember this lesson in the future. Have a blessed day and thank your husband for his sacrifices.

ps- I hope you do try the cupcakes! They are delicious.

3. Erika says

Cant wait to do them this weekend! Quick question for the frosting what do you mean by “cream” what kind of cream did you use?

Hi Erika! I use heavy whipping cream for the frosting. You can usually find it by the milk and half and half in the diary section of the grocery store! Hope that helps! Happy baking!

4. Erica says

Hi, I was wondering why you use cake flour instead of AP in this recipe. Also, have you tried this recipe with AP? Thank you!

Hi Erica – I have not tried it with all AP Flour. The technical reason is that cake flour has has less gluten than AP flour, so it will produce a lighter, softer cake. You do need to still handle it with care (not over mixing), which helps reduce the amount of gluten that forms. Cake flour is also ground finer than AP flour and has a little cornstarch in it (to keep it from clumping) and that produces a lighter cake with a smaller crumb. If you don’t have cake flour, you could certainly try AP flour or pastry flour would be an even better substitute if you have that. If you do use AP flour just be very careful not to over mix because this is already a very dense, pound cake like, cake and it could become tough. Hope that helps!

5. Michelle says

Hello! This looks like the recipe I have been looking for! How full do you fill the liners as it doesn’t say in the recipe. Thank you!

Hi Michelle, I use a 2 1/2 inch ice cream scoop to scoop it in there about 3/4 full. As long as they all have the same amount, then they’ll bake evenly! Did that answer your question?

• Michelle says

Yes, that was very helpful! Thank you so much!!!! They were incredible! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe!

You are most welcome! I am so glad you enjoyed them!! It is my favorite vanilla cupcake recipe!

Hi Angela! You can always add more powdered sugar or a little bit of cornstarch if your frosting is getting too sweet! You can also refrigerate it and then whip it up again.

6. Amber says

I just got back from vacation to Los Angeles where I tried (over and over again) Sprinkles Cupcakes and fell completely in love. There isn’t a Sprinkles anywhere close to me. I found your recipe and I can’t wait to try these cupcakes! Thank you!

7. Amber says

I made them last night. I kept having technical issues (mixers kept breaking) but I finally was able to finish them and they are totally amazing! I think the cake part is dead on Sprinkles but the icing is better than Sprinkles. Amazing moist cupcakes. Thanks again for the recipe!

You have no idea how happy your comment makes me! I’ve been fighting with developing a triple chocolate chip cookie recipe all last night and this morning and I was feeling rather low, and your comment picks me right back up! I totally agree with you about the cake and the icing being better. Sprinkles can be almost too sweet and not “vanilla-y” enough since I made my own. Did you try the Sprinkles Triple Cinnamon? I did a copycat of those and I could (and maybe did) eat the icing with a spoon!

8. Nicole B says

Haven’t tried this recipe yet, but it looks delicious and looks just like Sprinkles! Do you have any other Sprinkles inspired recipes? I love their banana cupcakes but haven’t been able to find a copycat recipe yet, and shipping the pre-mixes from Sprinkles starts to add up! Lol!

Hi Nicole! Glad to have found another Sprinkles lover! I have made a Triple Cinnamon copycat but that is it! I love banana cupcakes so I’ll have to do a little research and tackle their banana next! I always go and get the same ones, so I’ve never even tried it!

9. Beverly says

Hello! I just came across this and am definitely making these this weekend! Just 1 question… what is the vanilla bean paste?

• Lindsey says

Hi Beverly! I hope you do make them – they are delicious! Vanilla bean paste is a paste made from the seeds of the vanilla bean, a little sugar and vanilla extract. It is sold in jars by the extracts or in the baking aisle. You can substitute the seeds of 1 vanilla bean for 1 tablespoon of paste but vanilla extract isn’t as good of a substitute.