Salted Caramel Butter Bars

Salted Caramel Butter Bars

There are few things in life that cannot be fixed with salted caramel and butter, so as my life has gotten increasingly more crazy and stressful, my desserts have gotten simpler and more butter laden! Starting with these Salted Caramel Butter Bars – they have been known to work miracles!

Salted Caramel Butter Bars

Butter is comforting, no? Maybe I am secretly French.

The secret to a good life? Beurre. #fact

Salted Caramel Butter Bars

This recipe is from Cookies & Cups  and Shelly uses these to cure bad days too, so I am not alone here!

These Salted Caramel Butter Bars look complicated but they are actually super easy because the bottom crust and the top crumble are the same shortbread dough. Easy peasey.

They came together in just under an hour, but 50 minutes of that time was spent impatiently waiting for the bars to cook!

Salted Caramel Butter Bars

I used homemade salted caramel because I had some in refrigerator from these salted caramel cupcakes, but you could use caramel candies to simplify these bars even further.

I also baked mine a bit longer than the directions so my bottom crust and top crumble were a little crunchy, which added some texture to the bars but that is completely unnecessary; they would be just as delicious as soft and chewy bars.

Salted Caramel Butter Bars

Do you know what else makes everything better? Shark Week. #obsessed

I didn’t get to watch any this year (tear), but I’ve gotten inexpressible enjoyment out of reading the memes and someecards. #whyaretheysofunny 1312240974958_1111009

So throw some Salted Caramel Butter Bars in the oven and cozy up on the couch to watch Shark Week reruns!

And there is my recipe for happiness. You’re welcome.

Salted Caramel Butter Bars

Salted Caramel Butter Bars

Cook Time: 40 minutes

Yield: 24 Bars

Salted Caramel Butter Bars

These Salted Caramel Butter Bars are incredibly easy! A buttery shortbread crumble surrounds a salted caramel filling for the perfect salty-sweet dessert!

For the Crust and crumble:
  • 2 cups (1 pound) salted butter, room temperature
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
  • 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
  • 4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
  • For the Filling:
  • Either 1 cup homemade salted caramel or the following
  • 1 (14 oz) bag caramel candies
  • 1/3 cup milk or cream
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 tablespoon coarse sea salt

1. Preheat the oven to 325°. Butter or line with parchment paper a 9x13 baking dish.
  2. In a large bowl combine butter and sugars, mix on medium speed until creamy. Add the vanilla and beat until combined.
  3. Slowly add the flour to the butter mixture on low speed and mix until a smooth, soft dough forms.
  4. Press 1/3 of the dough into the prepared baking pan, and bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until the edges are a pale golden brown. Refrigerate the remaining 2/3 of the dough.
  5. If you are going to make your caramel from candies, do that while the crust bakes.
  6. Place the unwrapped caramel candies and cream in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 1 minutes. Stir until smooth. If the caramels are not completely melted, continue microwaving on high heat for 30 second intervals, stirring after each one.
  7. Once the caramels are melted, stir in the vanilla. Set aside until the bottom crust is done baking.
  8. Pour the caramel filling over the crust, sprinkle with salt and crumble the remaining dough over top.
  9. Continue baking until the filling is bubbly and the topping is firm and lightly golden, about 25-30 minutes.
  10. Let cool before cutting into squares. (I know, I know…go ahead and cut a corner out for quality control…the things we must do as bakers…)

*I halved this recipe and made 16 squares in an 8x8 baking dish, because I am only one person and I have no willpower where butter and caramel are concerned. They will keep in the refrigerator for up to 1 week wrapped tightly in plastic wrap.

Recipe from Cookies and Cups

These other Salted Caramel Desserts will also lead to happiness:

Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Blondies

Caramel Chocolate Chip Blondie

The Best Salted Caramel Sauce

The BEST Homemade Salted Caramel Sauce

Double Salted Caramel Cupcakes
Easter Double Salted Caramel Cupcakes

Maple Pecan Caramel Brown Butter Blondie

Maple Pecan Brown Butter Blondies

Bailey’s Irish Coffee Caramel Brownies

Baileys Irish Coffee Milk Chocolate Brownies

Is there anything as good as caramel and butter?! Nope…well, probably chocolate, caramel and butter but that’s besides the point!

I love how you roll with all this salted caramel action here — I can’t get enough of the stuff! And with butter…all that butter. These bars are the stuff dreams were made of! Salted caramel makes me SO dramatic. Pinning. :)
    marcie recently posted…Hostess Cupcake Layer CakeMy Profile

Looks like a stress relieving treat. I agree with you about butter. It’s so good and comforting. What kind do you use anyway? A long time ago, I’ve learned the hard way that good butter makes all the difference in the world when baking. I’ve baked same things using different butter and the one baked with cheap bleh butter turned out BLEH compared to when baked with the better butter. Oh and what is Shark Week, a reality shark show?
    Miss Kim @ behgopa recently posted…Korean munchies (the yucky and the yummy) ~ sauted bundaegi and hodu gwajaMy Profile

Girl, tell me that ain’t true!!!! Google shark week right now. It is in some ways a reality show but it’s a whole week of marketing genius by the Discovery Channel, during which they play nothing but shows about sharks. Love me some sharks!

I use whatever organic sweet cream butter they have at the grocery store. What should I be using is the question?

There *were* leftovers until my husband came home last week and cleaned out the fridge!!! So sorry! Good thing they are easy enough to just throw together :-)

Thanks, Julia, I am really trying to work on it and my editing skills. That explains the gluten free crepes, which look delicious btw!

I’m sorry! Yes put the cream and caramels together in a bowl and then microwave. I’ll update the recipe! Thank you for letting me know!

3. Tiffany Craig says

I just made these and have used about 20 paper towels trying to soak up the greasy butter underneath and on top of the bars. It is 4 sticks which equal 2 cups, right? It seemed like a lot when I read it, but hoped it would turn out. So greasy. Help!

My bars definitely left a little greasy, butter mark on a napkin (or on the wood board that I used to photograph them) but no where enough to soak through anything. I’m not entirely sure what the problem could be. Perhaps because I cooked mine longer? They were actually slightly crunchy. It is 4 sticks of butter. I wish I could be of more help!

I made this last night AND the salted caramel sauce….EXCELLENT recipe. Heavy on calories with all the butter and so worth it! I’m bringing some to my grandparents tonight. :) Thank you for posting!

There is definitely no shortage of calories here! lol! I’m so glad you made and liked it, Rhonda! I’m sure your grandparents will enjoy them! Well done on the caramel too!

5. Loveskilts says

Last year I made a batch of these and screwed up and doubled the butter. I realized it after the fact and made a new batch with the correct amount, fearing that I’d give my family butter poisoning as a Thanksgiving treat. Everyone liked the double butter mishap better. Making them again this year for T-day and doubling the butter AGAIN. Beurre… is SO where it’s at ;)

• Lindsey says

I couldn’t have said it better myself! Beurre is definitely where it is at! I’ll have to try doubling the butter!

ps- ain’t no such thing as butter poisoning! haha! ;-)