Cardamom Pear Crisp

In this Cardamom Pear Crisp, bartlett pears are seasoned with cinnamon and cardamom and topped with a brown sugar oat crumble topping.

Cardamom Pear Crisp

I have recently decided that there is no better Fall scent than cardamom and cinnamon.

Cardamom Pear Crisp

Ever since I bought some dried green cardamom pods for a Moroccan roasted lamb shank, I have had more ideas for cardamom scented baked goods than days in Fall. The scent is intoxicating and relaxing all at the same time. I sneak little sniffs from the container in the kitchen all day. I know it’s kinda weird. Don’t tell.

I opened the container for my husband to take a sniff and he said, “I want to make a pillow out of that.” Indeed. A pillow. Good idea.

Or a pear crisp…

Cardamom Pear Crisp

And, while this cardamom pear crisp generously serves two, you aren’t going to want to share after your first bite! It is warm and comforting and will make you want to cozy up in a blanket next to the fire with a good book.

Cardamom Pear Crisp

Or at least that’s how it made me feel!

Cardamom Pear Crisp

I used the crisp topping that I created for these Peach Crisp Cupcakes to see if it would work on a larger scale. And does it! It crisped perfectly on top but was still soft!

A normal person would probably say there is too much topping but I thought it was perfect and I heard zero complaints from the husband!

Cardamom Pear Crisp

The proportions are also very easy to adjust for one, which makes this cardamom pear crisp the perfect anytime treat!

Cardamom Pear Crisp

Cook Time: 11 minutes

Yield: Serves 2

Cardamom Pear Crisp

In this Cardamom Pear Crisp, Bartlett pears are seasoned with cinnamon and cardamom and topped with a brown sugar oat crumble topping. The warm flavors of the cardamom and cinnamon intermingle with the brown sugar crisp and toasted pecans for a flavorful fruit dessert that still highlights the pears!

For the Pear Filling:
  • 2 bartlett pears, ripe but not soft (about 2 cups)
  • 1/8 teaspoon cardamom
  • ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1 ½ teaspoons sugar
  • ½ teaspoon cornstarch
  • tiny pinch salt
  • For the Crisp Topping:
  • ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
  • ½ cup rolled oats
  • ½ cup light brown sugar, packed
  • ½ cup all-purpose flour
  • Dash cinnamon
  • Vanilla Ice Cream for serving, optional

1. Preheat your oven to 350° and ready two small pie dishes or a small baking dish.*
  2. Make your Crisp topping:
  3. Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and stir until the butter has coated everything. The mixture should be crumbly but not dry. If yours is a touch dry, add a bit more butter. Be careful because too much butter will make the topping greasy. Taste test. Sigh with pleasure. You can keep this covered with plastic wrap in the refrigerator until needed.
  4. Prepare your filling:
  5. Core and chop pears into a medium dice. I did not peel mine and I loved the added flavor and texture. The most important thing is that the pieces are relatively uniform in size.
  6. In a medium bowl mix the chopped pears with all the remaining filling ingredients. With this filling, as well as with any fruit filling, I taste my fruit before adding the sugar and lemon juice. You may need more or less sugar than I have written. Start with 1 teaspoon, mix everything together (except the cornstarch) and then taste. Add additional sugar as desired. Pour into your baking dish.
  7. Remove the crisp topping from the fridge and crumble over the top of the entire dish, squeezing the mixture as you go so that it forms some large and small crumbles. If you don’t want to use all the topping, that is fine. It will keep, covered tightly in plastic wrap, in the refrigerator for a week.
  8. Bake in preheated oven for 25-45 minutes or until the filling is bubbling and the topping is crisp!
  9. Let cool 10 minutes before digging in! Top with vanilla ice cream and enjoy!

This recipe serves 2 people generously, but if you would like to make it for a group, quadruple the recipe and then bake it in a 9” pyrex baking dish. The proportions are also very easy to adjust for one.

*If you are unsure what size to use, cut up your pears first and then dump them into a dish that you think will work best. They should come almost to the top.

You May Also Love these Fall Flavors:

Salted Caramel Butter Bars

Maple Caramel Pecan Bars {These are soooooooo gooood!}

Maple Pecan Brown Butter Blondies

Healthier Pumpkin Bread with Maple Icing

Healthier Pumpkin Banana Bread with Maple Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting

1. Lelia Farr says

Running out to find green cardamom beans! Wait! It’s only 6:15am in my time zone. This crisp looks and sounds like a marvelous taste sensation!

It’s so good, Mom. I know you’ll love it…especially the topping. But for this dish you should just buy ground cardamom (I got the brand we usually get…which I can’t think of right now.) The plan was to braise some lamb shanks with the pods, but for now I just smell them! :-) I haven’t tried it yet but I think a tiny sprinkle of ground cardamom would be a yummy addition to your usual oatmeal!

Cardamom has been one of my all time favorite spices – but, I seem to have had it in more savory than sweet recipes! This crisp sounds heavenly – love the pairing with cinnamon and lemon – I bet the smells were intoxicating! You know, your hubs might be on to something – a cardamom smelling pillow sounds like it could replace those lavender ones…just saying..

The smells were amazing! Does a pillow sound so nice! I like the scent so much better than lavender. Maybe we could start a line of season eye pillows…

I LOVE crisps, and I just bought some cardamom for a Mystery Dish challenge. I never use the stuff, and I’ve fallen hard for it (hint…it’s great as a rub on pork chops). :) I will be using it in a crisp VERY soon…I’m so drooling over this right now!
    marcie recently posted…Homemade Pumpkin Spice LatteMy Profile

A rub on pork chops sounds delicious! I put it in my oatmeal this morning and my yogurt this afternoon but that has been the extent of my savory testing. :-) The crisp was delicious!

You do!! And we also have to make a date to go to the Dekalb Farmers Market! It’ll be fun especially if you’ve never been. That’s where I got the cardamom pods that Randy wants to make into a pillow. :-)

Thanks, Manali! I bet you have tons of delicious dessert recipes with cardamom! I’ll have to check them out.

This looks incredible Lindsey! I love fruit crisps and this pear one sounds fantastic especially with cardamom :) I’m drooling over the topping too – I don’t think there’s ever such thing as too much crumb topping :)

Thanks, Jess! It really is a great dessert to serve guest! The huge scoop of ice cream is absolutely necessary! Who wants a tiny, pathetic one?

Woah! My wife was literally just telling me I should use cardamom in a recipe. And then I open up my email and see this amazing crisp. I think you are stalking me, Lindsey. Of course, if you were stalking me while carrying this crisp, I don’t think I would mind. Can we make that happen?? Thanks for sharing!
    David @ Spiced recently posted…Spicy Maple Grilled CornMy Profile

Haha so now you are asking me to stalk you with this crisp?! Or maybe your wife an I are just in cahoots…you’ll never know! I can’t wait to see what you use it in!

Thanks for the pin, Cindy!! You are going to LOVE it! And now that you have cardamom in your cupboard, you are going to want to add it to everything…mark my words!

Those dishes are Emile Henry mini pie dishes! Multi-purpose. Thanks! It was definitely very yummy! It’s now one of my favorite spices too!

Thanks for the pin, Natasha! Fresh picked pears in this crisp sounds divine!! I need a magic garden like you!