The Daughters of the American Revolution {A visit to Washington D.C.}

Daughters of the American RevolutionToday we are diverging a bit from the norm, so that I can tell you about my most recent trip! I planned to tack this onto the post about Ginger Peach Oat Bars, but it got a bit long.Daughters of the American Revolution

In some ways this post is what my blog is all about: an homage to American times past and present; using the past to inspire the future; and hopefully not making all of the same mistakes.

I visited my Grandparents in Virginia several weekends ago and I got to spend 4 wonderful days with them and my Mom who flew in from St. Louis just for the occasion!

Daughters of the American Revolution

I started visiting my Grandparents all by myself when I was 5. I would stay several weeks each summer, and my Grandmother (the aforementioned Nana) would take me all over DC. I loved the history, the artifacts, the art, and, most of all, the furniture of American times past. Nana instilled in me an intense love for America and its rich history that has never left me.

She impressed upon me the importance of being able to trace our family heritage back over 250 years to several ancestors who fought for the American cause in the Revolutionary War, which is how we are both members of the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR). Our agenda changed with each visit, but we never failed to visit the DAR Museum.

Nana has been a docent at the museum for the past 25 years, so I would get an unparalleled private tour full of as much history as my little brain could absorb!

Daughters of the American Revolution

Dumbarton House {The Colonial Dames}Daughters of the American Revolution

This trip Nana picked me up at the airport and took me directly the to DAR Museum for another private tour. I even got to walk in one of the rooms! I’m not going to tell you how except that Nana’s stare is not one to be reckoned with!

MIddleburg, VA

The next time you visit DC you should make time between visits to the Capital and the Smithsonian to step into one of the treasures of Washington, the DAR Museum. It’s free, a docent guided tour is free, the period rooms are unparalleled, and if you go on Saturday, you might get to take a tour with my Grandmother!

And if you do, you should ask her which room is my favorite and she’ll take you down into the Oklahoma room…the kitchen.

MIddleburg, VA

As you can see, this is a random assortment of photos, and they are not quite the usual “DC Visit” pics. That is what I love about my visits to my Grandparents: It’s never the same. These are buildings and scenes that just struck me as beautiful.

They are of the DAR Museum, the Colonial Dames House, and Middleburg! If you love history, historical homes and quaint, little American colonial towns, then these are not to be missed!

Daughters of the American RevolutionFun side note: this last picture is one of several stained glass windows that were taken out of the Atlanta DAR Chapter house (built in 1911) before the Chapter sold it in 2001. The house is just a few blocks from me in Atlanta and my husband and I would often walk past it and marvel at its dilapidation. It seemed to deteriorate before our eyes. I won’t bore you with all the details about the recent history and near complete collapse of the house but you can read more than you ever wanted to know here! These glass windows were in storage in DC and were recently installed for display all over the DAR Museum. They are exquisite!

Comments

How lucky you are to have such an interesting grandmother!
    I have always wanted to spend more time in DC and absorb some of the history. Loved this post! Your photos were great.

The place is drowning in history! You’ll have an amazing time! I can’t wait to go back with my husband, who has never been to DC, and see all the monuments, etc. It’s been a while!

I visited DC about 5 years ago for the first time, and we stayed in Alexandria, Virginia. It felt so much more patriotic on the east coast, with even more flags waving than here in CA. The area was so rich in history, and we visited so many sites — I especially loved the Lincoln Memorial and George Washington’s home, to name a few. I get to go back next year, and will try to visit the DAR if there’s time (it’s gonna be a quick trip). :( You’re so lucky you grew up around all that history — it’s such an amazing place!
    marcie recently posted…Pumpkin Snickerdoodle BarsMy Profile

It really is so much more patriotic in DC and VA. My grandparents live in Reston, VA. I want to go back with my husband, who has never been, and re-see all the sights in the Capitol. I went to a DAR meeting with Nana at Mount Vernon but we didn’t get to tour it – it is on my list! I hope you do get to see the DAR on your visit! You can always pop in and see just a few rooms [the whole museum is essentially a series of period rooms; one for each State. Each room represents a different time in US history. They always have a special exhibit that is usually amazing. When I was there they were removing the last one and installing the new one on quilts] I certainly am lucky!

I loved seeing this different side of your blog. You should post a pic of little Lindsey visiting nana, then and now! That is pretty impressive that you can trace your ancestry so far back. I never tried. It’s nice to a bigger part of the “American Heritage” part of your blog.
    Miss Kim @ behgopa recently posted…My book is coming along!My Profile

I think certain people would have been angry if I posted a picture of the three of us from this trip! They turned out horribly! And I looked terrible. My mom has lots of pictures of me in the airport with them when I’m coming home but, you’re right, I should ask Nana if she has any good ones of me and her in DC from way back when. She recently sent me one of me in a kitchen apron. :-)

What a great post! I love your foodie posts, but it’s a fun change of pace to throw some history in there, too. I’m kinda a history buff myself (surprised?), although I tend to lean towards Roman history. I haven’t been to the DAR house in DC, but I do remember playing at the Old Customs House when I was a kid in Charleston, SC…and the DAR owned that building. Good times!
    David @ Spiced recently posted…Glazed Apple FrittersMy Profile

Oddly I am not surprised, David! For some odd reason, I feel like you and I are kindred spirits! I love Roman history too…or really all history. I’m reading “Salt” right now, which is the history of salt and it’s fascinating. The Roman empire just fell in the book…he who controls the salt, makes the rules! I have *always* wanted to visit Charleston! I still really, really want to go. Must convince the husband to make a weekend getaway! I’ll be sure to check out the Old Customs House.

• says

I agree with you on the kindred spirit thing! I need to check out Salt…that sounds like a kind of book that I would absolutely love. And you totally need to visit Charleston. Oddly enough, it wasn’t until we moved up here that we finally made it back to Charleston. We have a friend here whose parents live down there, so we’re already planning another trip back…probably in the Winter when we’re tired of seeing white up here. If you end up going, shoot me an email if you want some foodie recommendations. :-)
        David @ Spiced recently posted…Glazed Apple FrittersMy Profile

• says

Awesome! I just added Salt to my Amazon wish list. The description alone sounds fascinating. I’ve never thought about salt being such an influential commodity, but I guess it kinda makes sense. Thanks for sharing! And definitely let me know about Charleston…it’s a great city!
            David @ Spiced recently posted…Glazed Apple FrittersMy Profile

You’re welcome! I never thought about it either but apparently it was *the* commodity to control! Right now I’m reading about the height of Venice.

Trackbacks