A New Adventure In A Big City- Culinary School Update

Numerous friends and family encouraged me downright pressured me to journal and blog about my experience in culinary school, but as I sat here staring at a blindingly white page and a blinking cursor, I couldn’t think of one thing to say.

My journey through culinary school - week 1

Except maybe…it’s crazy.

It’s somehow different and exactly as I imagined it: A whirlwind of activity, baking and learning.

My journey through culinary school - week 1

[Doesn’t everyone’s cat like to look out the window in taxi cabs?]

After we all have a little chuckle at the ironic twist where I get food poisoning the night before culinary school, we can get to my first day of class, which began something like this…

Chef Jurgen: “You are the baker for today.”

Me (out loud): “Yes, Chef!”

Me (to myself): “Whhhaaaat?! You mean I could possibly burn and ruin EVERYONE’S cookies? On the very first day? Lindsey, breathe.”

My journey through culinary school - week 1

I am relieved to tell you that I did not burn anyone’s cookies that day, nor did I spill anything (much to the shock of everyone who knows me), nor cut myself unless you count when the giant box of plastic wrap bit me, which I absolutely do not.

My journey through culinary school - week 1

This first week we’ve breezed through cookies and the baking science behind their various textures and moved swiftly on to tarts and pies!

My journey through culinary school - week 1

We had our first written test and our first practical exam during which we had 30 minutes to scale, make and bake these vanilla crescent cookies.

My journey through culinary school - week 1

As a non-edible bonus, I’ve met some fantastic people from all over the world! My partner in crime, I mean in baking, is from Mexico City. I speak to her in Spanglish and she speaks to me in a mixture of English and sarcasm. It’s a beautiful thing.

My journey through culinary school - week 1

I can tell you, as my first full week draws to a close, that the hectic schedule, impossibly fast paced environment, lofty expectations and unattainable deadlines feel almost normal. I find myself organizing and obsessively cleaning my teenie tiny countertop workspace in my apartment and working as quickly and as efficiently as possible. Mid-slowcooker-chili-prep I needed to remind myself to chillax; it’s just dinner.

My journey through culinary school - week 1

I’m still not quite sure how I’ll integrate my experience at the International Culinary Center into AHC, but I can tell you that it will be impossible to keep the new techniques, helpful hints and nerdy scientific facts out of my posts and recipes. After this first week, I am even more excited to share my new knowledge and just bring you along for the ride.

If you want to come that is. If not, I definitely intend to continue posting delicious treats, more cupcakes than is totally necessary, and my savory culinary creations. I’m super pumped and I hope you are too! Be sure to follow me on Instagram or Twitter for all my daily updates!

And these next cookies…are my absolute favorite so far. They don’t call them Chocolate Heaven Cookies for nothin’!

My journey through culinary school - week 1

Comments

I definitely intend to share the chocolate heaven cookie recipe! I just need to get some better pictures! Any chocolate lover will swoon over them! I know I did!

So far, culinary school sounds like the best dream school/summer camp experience I can imagine. PLEASE keep posting about your experience! I for one can’t wait to live vicariously!

PS: My cat does the exact same thing :)

Haha! It’s definitely a bit more intense than any summer camp I went to! But it is fun because I get to bake all day! Yay for curious cats in taxis! Glad to know you are a cat lover too :-)

I’m really glad you decided to (were pressured to) chronicle your journey, Lindsey! In the end, you’ll be glad you did! You bet I will be following along to see what pastry school is all about, and I’m feeling that old anxiety creeping up to hurry, hurry, hurry! and don’t ruin everyone’s lunch! haha You made some beautiful treats, and your PIC sounds fun! :)
    marcie recently posted…Red Velvet Cheesecake Cookie BarsMy Profile

I know you are absolutely right! I just don’t want to bore the world with every detail so I’m going to have to edit my journals because they are, um, long winded! My PIC is great! We make a great team or at least until they switch us around! :-)

Culinary school sounds scary and wonderfully amazing at the same time! I am so excited that you will be sharing your journey and some of your new baking know-how! Next, PLEASE include some recipes for all of these delicious looking creations! :) Good luck in week 2!
    Wendy recently posted…Kiss CookiesMy Profile

Aaw yay!!! So happy you are sharing your culinary school adventures with us! I loved hearing about your first week :) I am totally drooling over everything you made here and so glad that you are learning so much and having a great time :)

Hahaha – cannot beat communication that involves a bit of English and sarcasm! :) Sounds like you had a GREAT first week – and girl, that food poisoning must have done a number on your brain for you to entertain the thought that you might burn the cookies – Miss master cupcake maker!

Thanks Julianne! So far it has been one of the best experiences of my life. I am bummed I won’t get to meet u in Atlanta though!

That’s so awesome you’re going to culinary school! I almost went to J&W straight out of high school but went to a regular 4 yr college instead. Now, I’m slightly kicking myself for not going, since food is really what I love. Maybe in my next life :)

” I speak to her in Spanglish and she speaks to me in a mixture of English and sarcasm. It’s a beautiful thing”… this actually made me laugh out loud. SO cool that you are in culinary school in the city… it’s something I’ve always thought about doing. But the teacher thing is pretty sweet also. I’ll be living vicariously through your updates, so keep ‘em coming!
    Chris @ Shared Appetite recently posted…Gluten-Free Fajita Beef Spaghetti Squash PizzaMy Profile

Don’t you get a sabbatical as a teacher at some point? Maybe you could do it then! ICC is amazing and you live sooooo close!

Oh man I still dream about those chocolate heaven cookies!!! Thanks for stopping by my first update!