Deviled Egg Salad Sandwich

This Deviled Egg Salad Sandwich has all the flavors of deviled eggs on a toasted ciabatta roll! The perfect easy lunch or dinner! Deviled eggs remind me of Easter.

They also remind me of my Great-Grandmother RoRo (you remember RoRo, right?).

This is just a hunch, but I am guessing that RoRo probably served deviled eggs after church on Easter.

It should also be noted that, at the time, I thought deviled eggs were the work of the Devil. We can forgive me because I was young and just didn’t appreciate the delectable combination of eggs, sweet relish and paprika!

This Deviled Egg Salad Sandwich has everything you love about the addicting deviled eggs of your youth all wrapped up in a toasted ciabatta roll sandwich. It’s fabulous, really.

And like everything fabulous, this little sandwich has a back-story…

Does this scenario sound familiar? You’re running short on time; you’re famished; there are vast voids where real food should be in your fridge; but you have eggs and condiments.

Enter the Deviled Egg Salad Sandwich. Before culinary school it saved many a lunch around here!

When I don’t feel like cooking or our work schedule has left zero time for grocery shopping, my husband and I eat dinner at Jason’s Deli. We split a sandwich and a salad bar, and, after a few days, we inevitably end up with several leftover salads and a lot of hard-boiled eggs in the fridge!

These Deviled Egg Salad Sandwiches are my favorite way to repurpose the eggs.

A warm, lightly toasted roll is the perfect compliment to the smooth and creamy egg salad. The little crunch from the sweet relish and a little sprinkle of paprika pull it all together. Comforting, filling and delicious!

This is a universal sandwich. Adults and kids will dig right in and ask for seconds.

My husband LOVES these sandwiches! Almost as much, possibly more, than my tuna melts.

Instead of serving these on large rolls as lunch or dinner, you could spoon a little on small slider rolls or dinner rolls and serve them on a buffet or as a passed appetizer!

Full Disclosure: I don’t measure when I am making this sandwich; I do it all by taste. But for you I measured. You’re welcome. The sacrifices we make… 😉

Deviled Egg Salad Sandwich

Total Time: 5 minutes

Yield: Serves 2-3

Deviled Egg Salad Sandwich

Ingredients

• 6 hard boiled eggs
  • 2-3 tablespoons Miracle Whip Light (start with 2 and add more at the end if needed)
  • 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
  • 3 tablespoons sweet relish (not dill! Blech!)
  • fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
  • Sprinkle of paprika (optional)
  • Lettuce, for serving (optional)
  • Bread or rolls of choice.

Instructions

1. Chop your boiled eggs and place in a large bowl with 2 tablespoons Miracle whip, Dijon mustard, and relish. Stir to combine. The egg yolks will combine with the miracle whip and mustard to create a paste that holds the salad together. If the mixture is still a little dry, add a little more Miracle whip. Season with pepper to taste.
  2. Meanwhile toast your rolls (I keep chibatta rolls in the freezer for just this purpose - to thaw, microwave for 10 seconds, cut in half and toast).
  3. Portion the egg salad on half of each roll, sprinkle with paprika, if desired, top with lettuce and the second half of the roll. Serve immediately while the rolls are still warm!

Notes:

Sometimes I also chop up some red and yellow peppers and mix them in with the eggs. The amount of mayo and mustard required will depend on how large the yolks are in the eggs and also your personal taste. Instead of serving these on large rolls as lunch or dinner, you could spoon a little on small slider rolls or split dinner rolls and serve them on a buffet or as a passed appetizer! If you don't have leftover hard boiled eggs, this recipe will take about 15 minutes longer. Never fear, it's still super easy!

Great- Grandmothers & Grandmothers Know Best:

Grandma’s Tuna Melts

Grandma Ruth Jean's Tuna Melts

RoRo’s Old-fashioned Peanut Butter Cookies

Old Fashioned Peanut Butter Cookies

RoRo’s Pecan Tassies

My Great-Grandmother's family recipe for pecan tassies!

Grandma’s Old-Fashioned Sugar Cookies

My Grandmas Old Fashioned Soft Sugar Cookies are pillowy soft with just a hint of vanilla! The easiest rolled cookie recipe that I've made!

Grandma’s Soft Molasses Cookies

A recipe for my Grandma's Molasses Sugar Cookies | Crispy on the outside and chewy within! The perfect cross between a gingersnap, sugar cookie and gingerbread!

Comments

1. Nikki Pals says

I love egg salad sandwiches and to put these extras in will just make it better.
    Now the debate..fine chopped egg or coarse chopped egg.
    And while the chibatta rolls are very good I sometimes love the more delicate flavor of a Croissant for my egg salad sandwich.
    Thanks for a recipe that will come in very handy with Easter just around the corner.

You make excellent points, Nikki! I like more coarsely chopped because I like the texture! How about you? And I would never argue about any kind of sandwich made on a croissant! Croissants are delicious!

2. Nikki Pals says

Coarse chopped.
    Whole grain mustard, I like the “pop” I get when I bite into a grain.
    Thank you for the “blech” on the dill..I thought I was alone on this. In pickle brine it is fine but can’t stand it in or on salads or heaven forbid salmon.

I see we agree about everything! Love whole grain mustard! It is the secret to my tuna melts. I must try it asap in my egg salad!
      Dill pickle relish should be banned as a condiment! But dill pickles can stay 🙂 I still prefer my Great-Grandmother’s sweet pickles to dill though.

Isn’t it funny how egg salad sandwiches are like that? All of a sudden you realize you haven’t had one in forever and then nothing sounds quite as delicious!

Awww…you measured just for me? I feel so special, Lindsey! I love (LOVE) egg salad sandwiches, and I’ve been craving one for weeks now…how did you know?? Will you make me one when I come to the city? Along with lots and lots of pastries? Because it’s happening. April 11-12. Now you have to step up your game and join the curling club in Schenectady, NY. I’m looking forward to having you as a teammate next season! 😉
    David @ Spiced recently posted…Brownie Bites with French Vanilla Dipping SauceMy Profile

I did. You’re welcome. How long are you staying because your list of food demands is getting quite lengthy! 😉
      April 11-12 is right before my petit four exam and 3 day midterms!!! But we’ll make it happen.
      And I think it’s hilarious you think I am going to travel 2 hrs to flounder about on ice every week. I’m lucky if I make it to the grocery store in the winter! 😉

Mmm curried egg salad sandwich! I do a curried chicken salad sandwich…eggs is a great way to mix that up! I hope you make it for him!

Thanks, Stacy! Of course when I am trying to measure, the recipe never comes out the first time how I do it to taste! Have a lovely week as well!

Love deviled eggs and now I am totally craving for an egg salad sandwich for lunch now! You reminded me that it’s been way too long since I’ve had one and yay for giving us the measurements too 🙂 These pics are gorgeous too girl!

My hats off to you lady, making egg salad without measuring is a feat hard for me to master! So thank you for making the sacrifice and breaking out that measuring cup and teaspoons and all! This is one delish looking sandwich! I hate to admit it – but when I was a young ‘un, I steered clear away from deviled eggs cos I though they brought out the devil in me!

Looks delish. Famished and pressed on time is like the story of my life~ Oh and of course, I do like to add Sriracha in my deviled eggs. Surprising, right? I assume you are using the freshly baked bread from your classes? When I was going through the bread baking sessions, I had SO much stuff that I was taking home everyday and made more than my share of sandwiches at the time.
    Miss Kim @ behgopa recently posted…The Meaning Behind the Food Items in Korean Post-Wedding TraditionsMy Profile

I am beyond shocked that you put sriracha on your deviled eggs! 😉 These sandwiches were made for you! Fast and easy and filling 🙂
      These rolls are from the Farmer’s Market in Atlanta. They have fresh baked artisinal bread and it is AMAZING! I have eaten so much bread from school that I think I might pop! 🙂

Ha! I knew it!!!! It was just a feeling like they were there…probably because I never ate them 🙂

Asheley is OBSESSED with deviled eggs. One year for Christmas, she got me one of those special deviled eggs serving platters. I was like… uhm, this is more of a gift for YOU than it is for me. You just want me to make you deviled eggs. #busted. She would flip if I made this for her… and being the type of husband I am, I just may have to do that #husbandoftheyear
    Chris @ Shared Appetite recently posted…Gluten Free Meyer Lemon Custard with Almond Thyme CrumbleMy Profile

LOL! You should definitely break these sandwiches out and just wait for the accolades to roll in! Don’t you love those gifts that are really gifts for the other person?!? I have definitely gotten my fair share of those! She must REALLY love deviled eggs to buy one of those special plates! lol

• Lindsey says

Sounds good, Kari! I don’t know why but I don’t like dill relish – love dill pickles but get super sad if I accidentally purchase dill relish instead of sweet! Silly, I know.