Menu

Chocolate Crackle Cookies

Chocolate Crackle Cookies - So easy it's ridiculous!

I am one of those “cooking purists” who feels like using cake mixes in baked goods or onion soup in savory dishes is “cheating”. Not that I judge other people – only myself. But sometimes ones sanity is barely hanging on by a thread and cheating is not only condoned but also required. This is one of those times. My fiancé has been requesting Chocolate Crackle Cookies for days now and I have been struggling between making them using cake mix and making them from scratch.

Chocolate Crackle Cookies - So easy it's ridiculous!

My Mom always made them from a cake mix and they were darn good. I don’t know why I have been so stubborn. Honestly, Lindsey! It’s like I’m a Taurus or something… Everyone needs several reliable kitchen cheats in their arsenal. These Chocolate Crackle Cookies are a must!

Chocolate Crackle Cookies - So easy it's ridiculous!

One day I will make them from scratch and compare the results but, for now, my pre-wedding sanity demands a short cut! There are four ingredients. Four. Including powdered sugar. Waiting for them to cool enough to eat is the most time consuming part.

Chocolate Crackle Cookies - So easy it's ridiculous!

Today I bring you my Mom’s Chocolate Crackle Cookies. Patience is optional. Super chocolaty taste and powdered sugar mustache are not!

Chocolate Crackle Cookies

Cook Time: 16 minutes

Yield: 36 Cookies

Ingredients

• 1 box cake mix [Devils Food or other amazing chocolate mix]
  • 2 eggs
  • ½ cup oil
  • Powdered sugar

Instructions

1. Pre-heat oven to 350°
  2. Mix first three ingredients together until few lumps remain. Batter will continue to thicken as it sits. Not that it matters.
  3. Drop tablespoon sized balls into powdered sugar and generously coat.
  4. I mean generously. I’ve done this step wrong. It resulted in plain old chocolate cookies. Seriously not okay. Cake it on.
  5. Place on cookie sheet 2 inches apart.
  6. Bake for 8-10 minutes in pre-heated oven. 8 minutes if you want them under baked (let them cool!!!) or 10 minutes if you want them soft but more cakey.

Notes:

Chocolate Crackle Cookies - So easy it's ridiculous!

Note: My Mom used to make these around Christmas and she would color white cake mix red and green. Cute! My fiancé is not as discerning about time of year!

Tis the Season for festive desserts!

Festive Almond Crinkle

These Festive Almond Crinkle Cookies are easy, fast and only require 4 ingredients! A recipe that is perfect for Christmas or any time of year!

No Bake Gingersnap Brandy Balls

These easy no bake Gingersnap Brandy Balls are delicious and easy! The perfect addition to an adult holiday dessert spread!

Grandma’s Molasses Sugar Cookies

A recipe for my Grandma's Molasses Sugar Cookies | Crispy on the outside and chewy within! The perfect cross between a gingersnap, sugar cookie and gingerbread!

Holiday Bark

Salted Chocolate Cherry Pistachio Pecan Holiday Bark Recipe | An easy Christmas treat to share or to keep! It's so delicious you might not want to share!

Cherry Pecan Cookies

These easy Cherry Pecan Cookies are soft, chewy and nutty. A cream cheese sugar cookie is generously flavored with almond extract and rolled in pecans! My favorite Christmas Cookie recipe of all time!Hungarian Apricot Kolaches

Traditional Hungarian Apricot Kolaches | My Hungarian husband's favorite Christmas Cookie recipe! He says they taste just like his grandma used to make!

Spiced Apple Cider Cranberry Cupcakes

Spiced Apple Cider Cranberry Cupcakes | Soft, moist apple cider cinnamon cake filled with spiced cranberry compote and topped with a cinnamon cream cheese butter cream! And don't forget the sugared pie crust leaf!Soft Nutella Chocolate Chip Cookies

Soft Nutella Chocolate Chip Cookies

Traditional Linzer Cookies

A recipe for the classic Austrian Raspberry Linzer Cookies | A delightful rolled almond cookie filled with raspberry preserves and dusted with powdered sugar! A new Christmas favorite!My Mom’s Gingerbread Boys

My Mom's Soft, Chewy Gingerbread Boys recipe! | It just wouldn't be Christmas without them!

Peanut Butter Blossoms

Peanut Butter Blossoms are a classic chewy peanut butter cookie rolled in sugar and topped with a Hershey kiss. A little crisp outside but chewy within!

23 Comments

• Phillip
    August 10, 2013 at 8:15 am

I love these! I’ve made them various ways over the years. I’m not sure if I’ve ever tried them with a cake mix.

• AmericanCooking22
      August 10, 2013 at 10:20 am

It’s crazy easy! I’ll have to see if Maida has a Chocolate Crackle or Crinkle recipe.

• Kayle (The Cooking Actress)
    August 10, 2013 at 10:26 am

I’m with you on not using cake mixes, but sometimes exceptions have to be made 😛 These cookies look delicious!

• AmericanCooking22
      August 10, 2013 at 10:34 am

Agreed! Right now cake mix is all I can handle!

• Lelia Farr
    August 10, 2013 at 1:29 pm

Message from Mom: Other variations are limited only by the available cake mixes – for quick fix with a kitchen of hungry boys, I have done them with lemon, cherry chip (huge hit), carrot cake (Halloween), you name it!

• AmericanCooking22
      August 10, 2013 at 9:44 pm

🙂

• Choclette
    August 11, 2013 at 2:23 am

Chocolate crackles are so delicious, they are still a fairly new concept to me. Oh but they are so easy to make from scratch. I made some as Christmas presents for the first time last year and they took no time. I still haven’t blogged about them yet though. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving such a nice comment. Good luck with your wedding.

• AmericanCooking22
      August 11, 2013 at 10:22 am

Thanks for stopping by! I’m sure from scratch are easy too but it’s really hard to beat a 5 minute prep time!

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust
    August 11, 2013 at 10:21 am

For a long time I was stubborn too, then I gave in. Cake mix is good, and so easy sometimes when you need easy!

• AmericanCooking22
      August 11, 2013 at 10:25 am

For serious! I do still feel this need to try crackles at least once from scratch…

• Miss Kim @ behgopa
    August 12, 2013 at 3:00 am

I want some! I totally laughed when you mentioned the stubborn Taurus. I am a Taurus and totally stubborn lol.

• AmericanCooking22
      August 12, 2013 at 12:08 pm

I don’t put a ton of stock in horoscopes but I’ve never met a Taurus that wasn’t as stubborn as a bull! Just handed off the remainder of these delicious crackles to my brother who was passing through Atlanta, so I can finally stop eating them! The Wedding Fairy has been giving me the stink-eye for days.

• Christin@SpicySouthernKitchen
    August 12, 2013 at 11:27 pm

Nothing wrong with using cake mix every now and then. Especially if it means you only need 4 ingredients. They look so tempting!

• AmericanCooking22
      August 13, 2013 at 11:03 am

Agreed! It’s definitely hard to argue with 4 ingredients and a five minute prep time!

• Rachel Cotterill
    August 17, 2013 at 6:00 am

I don’t really use mixes – but the idea of using a cake mix to make cookies is totally new to me. They look great, ‘cheating’ or no 🙂

• AmericanCooking22
      August 17, 2013 at 11:52 am

This is the only recipe that I’ve ever used cake mix in (other than cake), but it is definitely one to keep. I still want fresh chocolate cookies even when times are crazy!

• Tam Francis
    December 11, 2013 at 5:09 pm

I just blogged about these because they are one of my fave cookies especially for this time of the year. I do it the long way or I like to call VINTAGE way. I’m all about a 40s lifestyle and even use a vintage 1940s Hamilton Beach mixer. LOL! Anyway, if you’d like the long version (or want to read about jitterbuggin’ and classic movies and books), check out my blog! Thanks for this recipe though, I may try it in a pinch or let the kids do this one! Great to know there IS a shortcut! Happy Christmas.

• AmericanCooking22
      December 11, 2013 at 6:26 pm

Thanks! I am a huge fan of doing it the long way 90% of the time. This is a great recipe for kids! I’ll definitely check out your site! Thanks for stopping by!

• tam francis
        December 11, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Please come on over and post a link back to your site. I would welcome it and it would be a fun option for bakers as well to try your quick recipe!

• […] Dusted with powdered sugar, of course. Get the recipe here. […]