Menu

Roast Beef Swiss Melt

In this Roast Beef Swiss Melt crusty bread surrounds juicy roast beef au jus with a perfectly melted layer of Swiss cheese. Coarse grained Dijon mustard and horseradish perfectly compliment the roast beef.Roast Beef Swiss Melt - The BEST roast beef sandwich ever!

Perfection if I do say so myself.

Roast Beef Swiss Melt - The BEST roast beef sandwich ever!

When I proposed this sandwich using the left over roast beef from this Pot Roast my Husband got really excited. I’ve never seen my husband get so excited about a sandwich!

Roast Beef Swiss Melt - The BEST roast beef sandwich ever!

Wait for it…

That cheese dripping in the bottom right hand corner tells you it’s going to be good!

Roast Beef Swiss Melt - The BEST roast beef sandwich ever!

All that was standing between us and my vision of the perfect roast beef Swiss melt was horseradish.

My husband offered to run to the store. He braved the most recent Atlanta Snowpocalypse just get some horseradish. You see what I mean?

Roast Beef Swiss Melt - The BEST roast beef sandwich ever!

Excited. About a sandwich.

But not just any sandwich. A Roast Beef Swiss Melt made with the most delicious roast beef I’ve ever had.

Roast Beef Swiss Melt - The BEST roast beef sandwich ever!

This sandwich is similar to a French dip, except the thinly sliced roast beef is tossed in the thickened braising liquid prior to building the sandwich. I really don’t like French Dips. I think they’re gross: the bland sandwich get dipped into the jus, which adds some much needed flavor at the expense of the crusty bread.

Soggy mess.

Not my thing.

Roast Beef Swiss Melt - The BEST roast beef sandwich ever!

Not in my creation. No soggy bread and no lack of flavor!

This Roast Beef Swiss Melt was hands down the best roast beef sandwich I’ve ever had. Crazy good.

Roast Beef Swiss Melt - The BEST roast beef sandwich ever! No soggy bread, tons of flavor and all the melty, cheesy goodness you can handle!

I’d like to thank my Husband for being my hand model for these photos. No one models melty cheese better than him! 🙂

Roast Beef Swiss Melt

Cook Time: 5 minutes

Total Time: 10 minutes

Yield: 2 Sandwiches

Roast Beef Swiss Melt

Thinly sliced roast beef au jus is layered with coarse grained mustard, horseradish and smothered in melted Swiss cheese in this sensational sandwich!

Ingredients

• 4 slices of your favorite sandwich bread
  • 2 slices Swiss cheese
  • 8 oz thinly sliced roast beef au jus
  • Coarse Grained Dijon mustard
  • Horseradish

Instructions

1. Thinly slice your roast beef and toss in the thickened braising liquid. I just warmed the sliced roast beef in the original Dutch oven over medium heat; stirring frequently.
  2. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and preheat your broiler.
  3. Toast two pieces of bread and spread a thin layer of horseradish on one side. Place the toasted bread horseradish side up on your baking sheet.
  4. Layer sliced roast beef onto horseradish to your desired height.
  5. Place a slice of Swiss cheese on top of each open-faced sandwich and place under the broiler until the cheese is melted.
  6. While the sandwich is broiling, toast two more slices of bread and spread a thin layer of coarse grained mustard on one side of each.
  7. Remove sandwiches from the oven and top with second slice of bread, cut in half, and serve immediately.

Notes:

If you are not fortunate enough to have left over pot roast sitting around, you can use sliced deli roast beef. It will still be delicious.

Did you make this recipe? I want to hear all about it! 🥳 Tag me on Instagram @cheflindseyfarr and use the hashtag #americanheritagecooking

14 Comments

• Josephine
    February 23, 2014 at 8:50 am

Hi Lindsey, I just showed this to my husband, and he said Wow! I am going to have to tackle that pot roast. Would it be too much of a compromise not to do the homemade beef stock, do you think?

• AmericanCooking22
      February 23, 2014 at 10:10 am

haha! It’s a man-sandwich! I think it will still taste amazing if you use store-bought beef stock, but I would definitely use an Organic, low-sodium variety. A quality, full bodied wine will also help make up for a less-rich broth. I don’t mean expensive, because the wine I used was $15 but tasted like $60! 😉

Let me know how it goes! And don’t forget to use as many vegetables as will fit…yummmy.

• Kayle (The Cooking Actress)
    February 23, 2014 at 10:42 am

ahhhhh OH MY GOSH sooo good!!! This sandwich looks sooo yummy!

• AmericanCooking22
      February 23, 2014 at 11:03 am

I was just sending you an email…And this sandwich is AH-mazing! I want one right now, but we at the last of the leftovers several days ago… :-/

• michael
    February 24, 2014 at 3:50 pm

That’s my kind of sandwich, nothing better than a roast beef melt!! 🙂 You have a really nice site, lots of good recipes and pictures too!!

Michael 🙂

• AmericanCooking22
      February 24, 2014 at 5:19 pm

Thanks, Michael! This melt was fabulous!

• Josephine
    February 24, 2014 at 8:50 pm

I will let you know how it is with “store-boughten” stock. Thank you!

Josephine

• AmericanCooking22
      February 24, 2014 at 9:05 pm

Absolutely! Can’t wait to hear!

• Josephine
    March 3, 2014 at 3:30 pm

Hi Lindsey,

I LOVED the pot roast recipe!! I did make a few changes – used dried herbs instead of fresh because I got to Dierbergs too early for them to have the fresh ones out. Also, I used Campbell’s beef consume instead of your homemade stock, and lastly I cooked it in a crockpot. It was fabulous. I served it for 2 nights as the original recipe, and then last night on a sandwich with swiss cheese. My husband gives it the total thumbs up. It was so good that I got up this morning early and made it again for one of my clients who just had a baby. Thank you!!

• AmericanCooking22
      March 3, 2014 at 5:18 pm

I am overjoyed that you and your husband loved it!!!! I’m glad that it still came out perfectly without homemade stock. My crockpot and I are on terrible terms. I put things in there exactly as I do on the stovetop and then everything comes out bland. It’s terribly frustrating. How did you make it in the crockpot? I want to learn because I want to be able to throw things in in the morning and then dinner is magically ready in the evening.

What a great idea to take it to your client! Now I’m craving another one!

• Roast Beef Swiss Melt | Foodqik
    March 5, 2015 at 12:25 pm

[…] In this Roast Beef Swiss Melt crusty bread surrounds juicy roast beef au jus with a perfectly melted layer of Swiss cheese. Coarse grained Dijon mustard and horseradish perfectly compliment the roast beef.When I proposed this sandwich using the left over roast beef from this Pot Roast my Husband got really excited. I’ve never seen my husband get so excited about a sandwich! Find the recipe at: http://cheflindseyfarr.com […]

• Menu Plan Monday ~ Oct 26/15
    October 26, 2015 at 9:00 am

[…] Roast Beef Swiss Melt and for me Egg, Spinach and Tomato […]

• Judith Ann Hart
    November 3, 2017 at 9:04 pm

Please advise of the best bread to use on this sandwich.

• Lindsey
      December 26, 2017 at 11:25 pm

Hi Judith, Hmmm. Well that depends on your taste. I loved the rye bread that I used but sourdough or pumpernickel would also be delicious!