Menu

Writing Process Blog Tour

Writing Process Blog TourSeveral weeks ago my friend Kristi at Inspiration Kitchen nominated me for the Writing Process Blog Tour. In case you aren’t aware from my post here, Kristi is the master of spice! She always has me drooling over her creations like these Spicy Chicken Lettuce Wraps.

This blog tour is about sharing my writing process, what I’m working on and some of the stuff that goes on behind the scenes before I press the “Publish” button. After I share, I’ll nominate three bloggers that I love and that inspire me.

When Kristi emailed asking to nominate me, I immediately said yes because I was flattered that she had thought of me, but after I clicked the send button, the monster known as “self-doubt” took over. Now everyone is going to know that I scribble recipes on scrap paper, post-it notes, in the notes on my iPhone and on a yellow legal pad. And then I have a panic attack when I can’t find one! Which is embarrassingly often.

Brown Butter Cream Cheese Chocolate Chip Cookies

For several days I thought I had lost this chocolate chip cookie recipe and I was devastated. Thank goodness I found it!

WHAT AM I WORKING ON?

Holding it all together. Just kidding. My problem is that I have too much I want to do. I want to write a novel – an historical fiction novel to be exact. I’ve started the research but the TIME! Where does it go?

My husband came up with another idea for a Cooking Blog, which is shear genius. I am dying to start putting it together but the thought of running 2 cooking blogs as a side job makes me want to go back to bed!

And lastly, I strive to be a better blogger and cook/baker every single day. I am working on making AHC into the blog that I imagine it can be. I am trying to make it more user friendly and visually appealing; I am exploring my recipe development talents and sharing more dishes that I have created; and I am trying to jump outside my baking and cooking comfort zones by working with ingredients or techniques that are not familiar. All the while sharing a bit about me as I go.

Copycat Sprinkles Triple Cinnamon Cupcakes

Apparently I also strive to share as many cupcake and chocolate chip cookie recipes as possible! 🙂

HOW DOES MY WORK DIFFER FROM OTHERS OF ITS GENRE?

I try to make my blog and my dishes feel like home. I want to bring Americans (and everyone else) back to the family table by making healthy and totally indulgent food accessible. I want to remind people of their heritage and the cooking of their homeland.

America is so much more than just one cuisine, and that is what makes it unique. I try to seamlessly integrate traditional Hungarian dishes in honor of my Hungarian-American husband with heritage dishes that are as American as the first settlers with modern fare. Why modern dishes? Because what we enjoy and eat today is about more than nutrition: it’s about family, friends and community.

I’m not entirely sure if that answered the question, but it’s my answer. So there.

Hungarian Chicken Paprikas

WHY DO I WRITE WHAT I DO?

This answer has evolved gradually over the course of the year and a half that I have been blogging. Above all else, I write AHC because I love to cook/bake and I want to share that love with everyone. It is my creative outlet. I love hearing readers’ experiences and stories when one of my recipes strikes a familiar chord.

I delight in my vintage cookbooks and am fascinated by the recipes that have been passed down for generations and those that have gotten lost along the way. I am passionate about this Country and I don’t want some of the culinary heritage and traditions to get lost along with some of our founding values. I won’t step on that soapbox, so consider yourselves spared. 😉

Lastly, I do it for the friendships. This last one was very unexpected, but I have made some absolutely wonderful friends through blogging. Some I’ve met in person and some I have yet to meet, but that doesn’t change the fact that I feel a part of something and that I value those relationships as highly as the ones of old, childhood friends. There is something about having a cooking blog that bonds you to others who share the same passion.

Caramel Chocolate Chip Blondies

HOW DOES YOUR WRITING PROCESS WORK?

It is simple: I can only write when I’m inspired to write. It sounds basic but it can be Trouble. At random times throughout the day I may be gifted a sentence apparently from nowhere, and if I don’t write it down, it will be lost forever.

Once inspired, the words will pour out of my brain faster than my fingers can type (and I type quickly!)! If I am interrupted before I can get it all out, my flow will be broken and my inspiration will disappear. It is frustrating and often impossible to get it back.
If I haven’t been previously inspired for a particular post, I try to write up my posts in the morning. Even though I am not a morning person, I am most lucid in the morning before anyone else stirs. This is, unfortunately, not a failsafe. Sometimes I can come up with nothing to say about an insanely delicious cookie and I can draw no connection to my life, and I end up with a vacuous, disjointed post. These are my least favorites.

Like most inspiration, mine comes when my mind is seemingly quiet: when I’m working out, chopping vegetables, rolling pastry dough, stirring a pot, or going for a walk. If you know me well and spend a lot of time with me, you know that I am quiet often. {Shhh, I’m waiting for inspiration.} When those gifted sentences come to me, I must act on them. I often turn them over and over in my head, elaborating, adjusting, trying new words or sentences. I need to nurture that little seedling of an idea into a full fledged post, and then I need to write it down before I forget or am interrupted!!! And that is how it’s done…

Bald Head Island - Writing Process Blog Tour

And before I risk putting you to sleep with a post entirely about me, I want to nominate three bloggers that I love!

KRISTINE’S KITCHEN

Writing Process Blog TourKristine at Kristine’s Kitchen is one of those people that you can just tell is beautiful inside and out! She warm, generous, and clearly such a great mother. Her blog is written from the heart and her recipes are inspired by her growing {yay!!!} family.

She makes scrumptious, healthy food that inspire me to eat healthfully at every meal, or at least try to! Look at these Pumpkin Breakfast Cookies – I have never wanted a healthy cookie so badly in my life!

And this summer she did a series on granola. Girl came up with a whole week of delicious granola recipes! Like this one…oh, and the mocha is not to be missed! Actually nothing Kristine posts is to be missed, so make sure you check out her wonderful blog!!

SPICY SOUTHERN KITCHEN

Writing Process Blog Tour

I have been following Christin at Spicy Southern Kitchen for years…long before I dared leave a comment on one of her posts. You can imagine my elation when she started commenting back on mine!! Christin is a goddess of Southern eats. I don’t know how she does it but she posts a crave-inducing Southern recipe almost every day. EVERY DAY!

I love that Christin posts traditional Southern treats and meals and then mixes in some of her own Southern inspired foods like this Krispy Kreme Bread Pudding. I know…sinful. And I want it so badly, but I want to be Christin’s neighbor even more. Go check out her blog and I guarantee you will too!

PUMPKIN ‘N SPICE

Writing Process Blog TourI heart Gayle at Pumpkin ‘n Spice for so many reasons: she is a fellow peanut butter & pumpkin lover; she is kind; her posts are genuine; and she whips up absolutely delicious treats! Like these Red Velvet Muddy Buddies…yes, you read that correctly. Don’t they sound addictively good?

Gayle is a newer blogger, which you would never know {I didn’t until she told me!}! She is full of energy and a love for food! I started following Gayle after she started leaving the sweetest comments on my blog…and I fully intend to make her go out to get cupcakes with me the next time I’m in Chicago…She just doesn’t know it yet! {Well, she does now…} You should rush over to her site without delay because everyone needs get to know her!

There are so many more bloggers that I love and follow! You can see a longer, but nowhere close to comprehensive, list here…but, seriously, go check out Christin, Gayle, and Kristine’s sites and leave some love for me!!

Wow, this post got kind of verbose! If you read my entire post, then you are A) my Mom, B) Nana, or C) really, really awesome! [Note: A & C and B & C are not mutually exclusive. If you are still with me, then welcome fellow math nerd!]

28 Comments

• Kayle (The Cooking Actress)
    September 27, 2014 at 10:35 am

yayyyy friendship and writing <3 🙂

September 27, 2014 at 5:02 pm

Hahah so true! Xo

• Lelia Farr
    September 27, 2014 at 1:21 pm

A! Hopefully C! Love! Love! Love!

September 27, 2014 at 3:57 pm

Haha! Of course!

• Miss Kim @ behgopa
    September 27, 2014 at 6:20 pm

Can you believe that I just had a mini black out (for like a second) here while I was reading this? I had to start up the computer again. Loved this post. I appreciate the focus of your blog. I can so see your blog becoming what you intended it to be and more.

I think 90% of my inspiration comes when I am driving. Of course I can’t write it all down. I either have to remember it or it’ll become lost forever too.

September 27, 2014 at 11:26 pm

A mini blackout?! I can’t say I’ve ever experienced that! Thanks for coming back and commenting. Your comments make me happy! Do you have voice memos on your phone? That is what I use when driving. Or if it happens a lot you could always buy a little recorder to keep in your purse. 🙂

• Josephine
    September 27, 2014 at 6:28 pm

Congratulations! I will enjoy reading your coming posts.

• Kristi @ Inspiration Kitchen
    September 27, 2014 at 10:06 pm

Hahahaha! I must be C, because I’m definitely not your mom or Nana! I loved reading this post Lindsey (and yes, I read every.single.word). I loved reading about your writing process. And, I’m with you – if I have a thought, I have to write it down right then, or the momentum is lost. Such a shame since every single one of those moments we have is absolute brilliance – yes? It such a shame when we miss it! Hahaha! Hugs girl.

September 29, 2014 at 9:04 am

Of course you are C! Thanks for reading the whole thing! It is such a shame to miss any one of our thoughts…tragic really!

• Gayle @ Pumpkin 'N Spice
    September 28, 2014 at 6:32 pm

What a great post, Lindsey! I loved reading about your blogging process. And I can definitely relate in many area! Thanks agaon for the nomination! 🙂

September 29, 2014 at 9:07 am

Thanks, Gayle! Can’t wait to read yours!~

• Kristine @ Kristine's Kitchen
    September 28, 2014 at 10:13 pm

It’s always interesting to read about others’ writing process, and I really enjoyed your post! Thank you for sweet words and for nominating me! 🙂

September 29, 2014 at 9:08 am

Thanks, Kristine! You are most welcome! Congratulations and I can’t wait to read what you have to say!

• Arpita@ The Gastronomic Bong
    September 29, 2014 at 4:59 am

Love reading your posts Lindsey! ! Can relate so much about scribbling pointers or recipes on the pice of paper and then misplacing it.. devastating isn’t it.. heheh.. love your writing. . 🙂

September 29, 2014 at 9:11 am

Thanks, Arpita! Isn’t that the worst?! And that feeling, when you know that you had scribbled genius and now you have to try and recreate it! Awful.

• David @ Spiced
    September 29, 2014 at 8:47 am

I love that you used the word ‘vacuous’ in a post. You deserve an extra cookie for that. Oh, and I’d also like to point out that I must be really, really awesome by default…mainly because I’m not Mom or Nana.

September 29, 2014 at 9:34 am

Lol! I love that word…I often delete some good words because my SEO plugin tells me to use smaller words to make my posts easy to read…sigh. Thank you for noticing! And you are definitely C!

• marcie
    September 29, 2014 at 1:33 pm

I love this post, Lindsay! I always enjoy how others “get the job done”, and I totally agree — when I have ideas I write them down whenever and wherever, and on my phone. I try to be systematic, but sometimes it doesn’t work. 🙁 I always enjoy reading your posts as much as I do viewing your photos (drool worthy always!), and am so glad I finally found your blog through Kristi. I love Gayle, Kristine, and Christin, too — excellent choices!

September 29, 2014 at 3:58 pm

Thanks, Marcie! I enjoyed reading yours too and glad I found your blog through Kristi! I have no system…unless chaos is a system. 😉

• Christin@SpicySouthernKitchen
    September 29, 2014 at 8:42 pm

You are the best Lindsey! Thanks so much for nominating me. I can’t tell you how much I enjoy reading your blog. You really have the whole package- wonderful recipes, gorgeous pictures, fabulous writing, and a warm and interesting personality. Even better, I can totally tell you put lots of time or energy or something into improving. You get better and better. I can’t wait to see where your blog is a year from now.
    And I can totally relate to you. I scribble recipes down and then sometimes lose them, usually just temporarily, but I have a couple that I’ve never found. I tell myself that when I cook something, I’m going to type it into the computer before the end of the day, but that never happens. And even worse, sometimes I can’t read my own handwriting!

September 30, 2014 at 9:17 am

Aww thanks, Christin! High praise coming from you! It’s funny you say that about not being able to read your own writing because last night I was staring at this scrap of paper trying to figure out what the 3rd ingredient was…why can’t I just write like a normal person…I’m not a Dr so I have no excuse!! Thanks so much for reading my little blog! I enjoy each and every comment you leave!

• Kelly - Life Made Sweeter
    September 30, 2014 at 5:42 am

Oh Lindsey, I loved reading this post and seeing the behind the scenes 🙂 l totally related about writing in the early morning hours before anyone is up and writing when I’m inspired. Also, if my kids get up before I finished writing my post – yup the thought is totally gone and poof it’s gone hehe.. I love coming here to drool at your amazing food and reading what you have to say so I must be (C) too =)

September 30, 2014 at 9:05 am

Thanks for being a C, Kelly! I love getting your comments! My husband’s constant interruptions are enough; I don’t know how you handle kids!

• Ella-HomeCookingAdventure
    October 3, 2014 at 12:32 am

It was fun to read this post… I found myself in so many things you said.. This happens to me too… I take notes of my recipes in various note papers and then I feel so desperate when I can’t find them 🙂 and many other.. but don’t want to make such a too long comment 🙂

October 3, 2014 at 11:44 am

I love reading your comments! No need to worry about it being too long! Isn’t it the worst feeling when you can’t find your recipe notes and it was so delicious and you worry that you’ll never be able to replicated it!!!

• Ella-HomeCookingAdventure
        October 3, 2014 at 4:38 pm

yes.,, exactly.. it happened to me for several times.. but I was lucky to have my step by step photos.. and could remember this way what I used in my recipe 🙂

October 3, 2014 at 5:43 pm

Ahh so smart!!! And dual purpose!

• […] This is one of those recipes that I make time and time again. I’ve called mom dozens of times over the past 15 years asking her to tell me the recipe just one more time and promising to write it down…and not lose it. {I told you I had a problem…} […]